ON THIS DAY IN UNITED STATES HISTORY
August 5, 1914
The First Red-Green Traffic Light is Installed
On this day in 1914, the American Traffic Signal Company installed the first traffic light. It was installed in
Cleveland, Ohio and consisted of a red light, green light, and a buzzer to signal impending color change.
The first four-way, three color light was not invented until 1920 but automatic interconnected traffic lights were
not introduced until March of 1922 in Houston, Texas.